A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saturdays are for planting

The plants from Tasteful Garden arrived this week. They seem to be mostly okay, but rather tall and leggy-- the tomatoes already need cages tall. There were a few substitutions-- a regular Italian eggplant for the Bianca di Rosa eggplant, and Carmen, Lipstick, and ruffled red peppers instead of the Italian yellow bell, Mini red bell, and Italian red bell peppers. The tomatoes came as expected (San Marzano Redorta, Classica Roma, Italian Sweet Beefsteak heirlooms and sweet million hybrid), as did the itty bitty basil and large horseradish. Some of the plants already had flowers, like the eggplant:

eggplant flower

All of the flowers were removed shortly after planting to encourage root growth, of course. There was also a RED strawberry already.

strawberry

I sowed cilantro seeds, and... I think we're about done with the planting for now. The spinach and lettuce have been the only real disappointment so far, and that's more due to slow growth than anything else. So here we are...

side

garden

In other news, it's weird being at my parents' house. When I did live there and maintained the current garden as an herb garden, Lucy would sun herself in the mulch while I worked and rolled around on top of the catnip and any plants unfortunate enough to be nearby. I'm not sure what to do with her cremains. I don't know what part of my parents' yard is not going to be dug up at some point in the near future, and it's not really "my" house anyway.

No comments: