A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Monday, August 8, 2011

Splashed.

I done did it.  And I raised $421 for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.  And I'm all swum out.. for now.  My shoulders and triceps have felt like they're made of lead-- not sore per se, but heavy.

I didn't do great.  I did downright awful.  But I guess everyone's got to start somewhere.

I'm sure I'll forget enough (the suffocating panic that set in through the first quarter mile, the poor performance, the extreme self-consciousness walking around in a suit among actual athletes) soon enough that I'll start pumping myself up for the next one.  Much like getting that diploma blotted out all of the stress and hardship of grad school and how I've toyed with the idea of going back ever since.

I confess.... I was back in the pool tonight.

Got to start working for next year, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great job!!! Do they give you a medal for this activity? T-shirt? I need pictures of the bling!
-klari

Constant Gardener said...

Okay! I got a purple teeshirt and a purple swim cap in the way of bling. Though the swim cap I'll probably never use again because it's latex. My goggles were also just for this event (they're mirrored smoke goggles and I swim at an indoor pool-- plus they're classic Swedes so the straps'll be unreliable by the next open water event).