A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Saturday, August 6, 2011

splash.

I'm about to leave for the pool for my last practice before tomorrow's big swim.  Just a short, kick-heavy practice.  My triceps were a little sore yesterday from Thursday's work, and then my contact started hurting on the one night I forgot my glasses and I had to cut everything short.  Bleh.  Not that it matters, because my practice has gotten so screwed up these past two weeks.

I can't say enough how I'm really tired of deaths/ funerals/ and all of that stuff.  But when I was telling my boss that, she told me that one of my coworkers is in hospice... so I guess there's going to be another one to get through before the year is over.  Joke's on me.

I've been seriously considering pulling out of the swim.  It was always going to be a stretch, and then this?  It's been terrible.  NOTHING has gone right.  Everything from a rash aggravated by chafing to a funeral to staying very late at work on a semi-regular basis has reduced time available to swim.  I am a textbook case of How Not to Prepare for Your First Open Water Event.

But my coworkers kicked in a combined $71, which put me over $300 for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.  And a few of them were so sweet and encouraging... well.  I was always going to be slow and make a fool out of myself anyway, right?  So here we go.  I just hope I don't drown or die from a rabid jellyfish attack.  As I said, I wouldn't even attend my own.

No comments: