A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

give until it hurts

I started donating blood regularly because of my brother. I teased him almost every time I donated telling him that I was paying the blood bank back for all of his withdrawals. Plus it never hurt to boost the supply in our shared type, however temporarily, just in case. But today was the first time I've donated in memory of my brother instead of because of my brother.

Not an opportune thought to have while in the donor chair.

This is definitely going to be the worst calendar year ever. Everything is a first time without my brother. His birthday was pretty awful, but there's the first Easter, Mother's day, Father's day parents' birthdays, my birthday, trip to the Outer Banks, picnics, Halloween (and his pumpkin carvings of dubious taste), Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Steelers games, races, Curve game... EVERY last thing is going to be a slap in the face painful reminder that he's missing.

No comments: