A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Sunday, September 19, 2010

If you ain't a Steelers fan, you ain't...

I found a Steelers bar. It's an, er, unusual gathering place-- a budget hotel bar. I suppose that it's easier that way. No "regular" clientèle that might be offended by the notion of STEELERS FANS? IN MY BAR? (complete the meme: it's more common than you think!). And the bar is happy to take money they probably wouldn't be taking in otherwise. So I watched the game with about 200 of my new best friends. We had the Steelers Polka. There were Terrible Towels. Easily 85% of the people wore jerseys. We didn't have any of the fine products brewed by Penn Brewery (truly Pittsburgh beer!), but there was Yuengling (an adequate substitute). There were no seats if you arrived after 11. Best of all, there was a Steelers win despite playing the dreaded OldOilers and being 5.5 point underdogs and all of the injuries in the game.

Which is good. I needed a good Sunday, because I know this week is going to be a challenge. My consolation is that next week at this time I'll be down the Banks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eeew...'Lager, The most pedestrian of Pennsylvania beers. Then again, we have your half of the state to blame for the atrocity that is Rolling Rock.