A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend warrior

Yesterday I attacked the garden... in a nice way. Some weeding (surprisingly few, given the wide swath of fertile soil they could have colonized..), some thinning. The garlic has really taken off-- it's about a foot tall. The onions aren't far behind. The lettuce and spinach are sprouting amidst the radishes (whose roots are starting to fatten), and my sweetpeas have finally made an appearance.

I sowed borage, sunflower, carrot, bean, and dill seeds yesterday. The carrots went between the onion rows, the dill hopefully far enough away by the beans that there won't be problems. We bought basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, & thyme plants and planted those after a light topdressing of composted manure across the entire garden. And then mulched everything to keep the ground from drying out-- it's unseasonably HOT lately around these parts. 87 in April is just not. right. The sudden heat and lack of rain have made the tree pollen situation untenable. My eyes itch constantly, with allergy meds just lessening the degree of itch slightly. The only thing that seems to work is Benadryl, which is (of course) making me very sleepy. Wanting to scratch my own eyes out on top of my disike of heat and the near-constant headache has made me incredibly irritable lately.

But Lambert-- a part of my integrated pest control system!-- is always cute

integrated pest management system

The garden as of yesterday afternoon

baby lettuce

sideplot

big garden

No comments: