A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Friday, December 31, 2010

happy(ish) new year

My New Year's has gone so far awry it's not funny. I appear to have caught bronchitis from my brother, and, of course, after getting so stir crazy that I just had to get off my couch, the normally reasonably reliable Jeepers' check engine light came on. When most places are already closed for the holidays and it looks like I'll be waiting until Monday to have anyone look at it. Of course. But aside from my confinement and boredom, it's traditional at the end of the year to reflect on the year that was and try to pretend that we can exert control over the year that will be. Except, well, I don't want to jinx myself or set myself up for disappointment. No pretending I can control things that much-- man proposes and God disposes, and all that. So. Just reflection on the year that was.

I think it's safe to say that 2010 has brought quite a few changes. Finally got the damn masters degree after years of procrastination (long term relationships will do that). I also bought a car, got lucky enough to entertain multiple job offers, got a job at my preferred agency, and moved a few hundred miles away to a place where I hardly know anyone. I learned how to sail small craft & got my little red book certification. I now have done enough long-ish haul drives by myself to be frustrated by those who are clearly not regular interstate drivers. The brats are adjusting, and I'm, well, perhaps not used to but resigned to being a Steelers/ Pens fan in Ravens/ Caps territory. I still find the "hon" thing funny, though. They're so possessive 'round these parts of that little word that I don't have the heart to mention that it's pretty common back home.

Of course, while I've reaped the benefits of moving hundreds of miles away from most people I care about and who care about me... and the disadvantages. I still hardly know anyone here all that well (trying to work on that...), which has been made all the more clear by my current situation. But. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I mean, I guess I could have found a job back home, but it would have been harder to find one at all and whatever I found would have been a compromise that would have taken me further away from the ultimate direction I want my career to take. Neither was an appealing choice, but I need to make up for lost time. So here we are.

No comments: