A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Monday, November 9, 2009

20 years?

I can't believe it's been 20 years since the Berlin Wall came down. I’d play the where were you game, but I don't remember exactly how I heard. I know that I was in fourth grade. I do remember the reactions, though. With going to a Byzantine school and all, there were regular prayers for the conversion of Russia (read: end of communism and state persecution of churches) in every liturgy and most rosaries. I remember watching movies of liturgies conducted in secret, the destruction of traditional wooden churches, and martyred priests-- proof positive that communism was bad. And then it happened. The wall, the most tangible symbol of communism was opened. Crumbling, presumably the way that communism would soon crumble. Something we actually prayed for was happening! And not something trivial, but a huge momentous event that suggested prayers could be answered. Maybe.

No comments: