A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Friday, October 16, 2009

blog of the living dead


BRAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNNSS
Originally uploaded by jcipa
Happy early Halloween. Here we have Zizi doing her best zombie (or zombi, if you want to get all continental on me) impression for you.

Following on that theme (the dead), a cold and wet summer makes for weak plants that have a difficult time resisting insects and disease even when not following organic principles strictly. Instead of Indian summer, this week has brought us frost, constant cold rain, and potentially slushy snow tonight and tomorrow. Le potager aux parents, c'est fini.

Le sigh. Le bleh. Etc.

My little indoor, er, collection is not so happy with the sudden lack of natural light and unceremonious transition to artificial lamps. Two orchids are limping along since being damaged; my large Alice appears to be sprouting a new pseudobulb. I added a Tillandsia to keep the orchids company, while the Euphorbia, Rosemary, and Dwarf orange were hurriedly brought in-- alas, they appear to have brought along some scale insects that are attacking Murray the Murraya. Boo, indeed. Murray's overdue for a repotting anyway, so I guess I'll give it a wash with weak Ivory while I'm at it.

It's been so long since I've posted, so let's see... I enjoyed my residency at a certain health insurer in the really tall building I mentioned in a previous post, but now I'm back to reality. Back to school. Now I'm working on Medicaid policy related matters, applying for fellowships, and trying to figure out what I'm going to do and where on earth I'm going to live when I graduate in six and a half months. Oh, yeah, and there's the whole school thing. I'm impatient to be out in the world DOING something now that I've had a taste. My application for my first choice fellowship is in, but that process takes until April (assuming that I make the various cuts). Bleh.

With this whole literally not knowing where I'll be in seven months, it puts a damper on the rest of my social life. I want to do things with people, especially when I think that it was potentially my last birthday in Pittsburgh in August, and it may well be my last Halloween/ last New Year's/ last whatever. But I'm so busy and I don't want to cry wolf if I do wind up with a job here. It turns the whole dating thing on its ear-- at first, I figured why bother dating, since I'm outtie in a few months. But I've been asked for coffee and such, so I thought maybe a short term thing would be fun. And aren't guys supposedly happy with a completely in the moment, pressure-free relationship that I fully expect to end when I move? But apparently it's a turnoff to date someone that detached, even if they don't want to form their own attachment. Go figure. Les garcons, I will never understand them. I'm too attached and emotional, so they end it. I'm too detached and methodical, so they end it. They know how tall I am, then tell me I'm too tall. They know my relative intelligence, then tell me I'm "snobby" because I read more books in a week than they do in a year. Of course, glutton for punishment that I am, I'm meeting someone completely ill-suited for me next week.

And I think that catches us up for now!

No comments: