A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. -Oscar Wilde

Monday, March 30, 2009

fun with ethics and the scientific method

I am sitting in a class that is literally painful. I am in actual physical pain from the boredom I am currently experiencing despite spending the last two hours playing with Blogger templates (yes, this whole thing is a work in progress and subject to weird random design changes as I figure things out). So let's conduct an experiment...

Null hypothesis: It is not actually possible for a human to die of boredom

Alternative hypothesis: At least one person in this lecture class is indeed dying of boredom at this very moment.

Methods: A class of N= 105 students will be forced to listen to a TA lecture incoherently and monotonically for three hours about scientific ethics without contributing anything new to anyone's understanding and, in fact, getting basics like the federal/ state constitutional division of powers incorrect.

Ooh, I'm snarky. No, just cranky, because I have no tolerance for having my time wasted. Let's look at pretty pictures and do more garden planning instead. I started moonflower, passionflower, and nasturtium seeds in peat pellets. Sadly, not a single passionflower has sprouted (and neither Burpee nor Lowe's has responded to my complaints). The nasturtiums and moonflowers have almost all spouted, especially the nasturtiums.

sprouts

Nasturtiums are suggested as a companion planting, though some suggest that they're more of a sacrificial crop than anything else. I'm hoping that they'll add a little color and attract a few pollinators and if they get munched? Well, that's better than the eggplant or tomatoes getting munched. In addition to the garlic, onions, sweetpeas, and radishes that are already planted, I'm also considering tomatoes (plum, beefsteak, and cherry/ grape), peppers (bell, serrano, hungarian hot, and more), eggplant, beans, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, basil, dill, cilantro, oregano, sage, thyme, chives, rosemary, catnip, horseradish, potatoes, and sunflowers. And maybe borage and marigolds to scare away pests (we already have the cats to control the non-insect pests). Whew!

The sunlight coming through the nasturtium seedling leaves was kind of neat, so I thought I'd play with the picture a little in Picnik

Fun with picnik

I've done the pop-art feel with a pomegranate before:

red on green

I like it. I'll have to remember to do the same with the garden and its produce.

No comments: